Today millions of Americans at home and even abroad, will take part in one of the most treasured,powerful,and sometimes under appreciated luxuries that we have in this amazing country that we live in: To leave our print in this historic election. To say that the opportunity that we have here on this day is 'lucky' is such an understatement. What a time to be alive and an American! To wake up and see and feel what this election means not to just my country, but what it means to the world. The American dream. It's amazing, I find it hard to describe.
This election has really taken it's toll on everyone. I know it has on me. I've got a bad case of electionitis. While I'm so thankful that I was able to see this election take place, I'll not hesitate to admit that I'm glad that it will be over and done with(hopefully) by the end of tonight. I have such great respect for all of the candidates. They each have great attributes and have done great things for this country that deserves our respect. Of course I'd be the biggest liar in the world if I said I wouldn't be so heartbroken if my chosen candidate did not win. But he ran a good race, whether he loses or wins and that is something to be very proud of.
I'm so thankful that I married a man who has become so passionate about politics and patriotism. How he wanted to sit down and go through all of the candidates and proposals for this years elections to make sure he understood what/who he was voting for so he could make the right choice and how he just could not wait to go down to vote early. And did I mention it was his first time voting!? We have grown up in such different environments. I could not wait to turn 18 to vote! I was so proud of him! I tell you, we were so meant for each other. Who else would stay up late and watch Frontline and every PBS special ever aired, with me. Who loves documentaries as much as I do, and who truly wants to help others who are less fortunate.
And I'm incredibly grateful that I was able to be part of these historic events. That my daughter and I just may live to see the very first African American President (it's been a long time coming) or the first women Vice President. It was such an overwhelmingly gratifying feeling voting this year. Leaving my fingerprint in this election. I love voting. I want to raise my children to know just how special and important it is to be able to vote. To know that it's a luxury, not just a right. That her ancestors and many other brave men and women throughout history, have sacrificed their freedoms, their loved ones, their time, and their own lives, so that we can see better days for our children and have our voices be heard.
To know that their grandfather, my father, grew up in country where he had no such voice or the freedoms that we tend to take for granted everyday. I want them to appreciate what they have and to not let those sacrifices made by those who came before us, and those who are still sacrificing, to be in vain. To give a voice to all those who aren't here to use theirs. That is what voting means to me. That is how much my country means to me.
This country will not be a good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a good place for all of us to live in ~Theodore Roosevelt
There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America. ~William J. Clinton
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong. ~James Bryce
We have enjoyed so much freedom for so long that we are perhaps in danger of forgetting how much blood it cost to establish the Bill of Rights. ~Felix Frankfurter
America is a tune. It must be sung together. ~Gerald Stanley Lee, Crowds
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment