Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The American Dream


I think I'm still in a state of shock... Yes. I think that's what this is... Shock. I have witnessed an extraordinary part of history tonight. As I watched President elect Barack Obama humbly walk out in front of a crowd of hundreds of thousands of Americans, and in front of the whole world, to make history. To finally break down barriers that were long time desired, hoped, and prayed for, but had not yet come. Such a bitter sweet moment. To stand on that podium to accept the position of the President of the United states of America as an African American man. To be able to witness that moment right there with my husband and daughter while tears streamed down my face, will forever stay with me. And I will forever be grateful I got to witness that. A true American dream come true.

I obviously wasn't alive during the civil rights movement. I never witnessed in person Dr. King making those monumental historic speeches that we all learn about in school, and refusing to accept the discrimination and hate that stood in the way of equality. But I was able to witness President Obama stand there representing a people, who have suffered such atrocities in their own country, who have been oppressed and discriminated against. I believe he stood there and accepted the election on behalf of not just the African American people who had suffered, but to everybody in this country, in this world who, up until this point, has had no voice. Those who had no hope, standing alone with no one on your side. I believe you have one now. Those barriers have been shattered! And it is now time to move on and time to get to work on lifting this country back up and feel that pride again swelling up in this glorious nation that is ours. Time to learn from our mistakes and work on our future.



God bless America!!!!

1 comment:

kim said...

I too think it is a marvelous and historic time when we can see how far our country has come, and to see the first African American President is truly amazing. While I am happy for you that Obama won, we will agree to disagree on that one. I feel strongly about the conservative values of the republican party, and yet also felt that their needed to be a major change in the white house, I guess that's what we got. I just couldn't in good faith vote for someone who supported something so morally wrong and inhumane being done to infants, but I too will support him 100% as my President.

I still love ya though!